Friday 19 February 2010

Underachieving OCD-er

So there’s this show, on some random cable channel here, called Hoarders. Each episode shows one family’s home – absolutely teaming teeming with mountains of crap. It actually is pretty disgusting (to me), but that’s potentially because I am more prone toward OCD than whatever neurosis these poor folks suffer. Yep, I am much more likely to go through binges of purging. I love going through my stuff and jettisoning the riffraff. (Full disclosure: the only thing I can’t seem to really do this with is books. But my house, nevertheless, is not overrun by them.)

Here are two of my favorite quasi-OCD compulsive purges.


The refrigerator.
The fridge and I have a kind of fickle relationship. I like to go out and buy a lot of healthy food – fruits, vegetables, etc. – carefully stash it all in the refrigerator … and then forget about it for a week or two. By which time, it’s mostly not in a state for consumption and so I reconcile myself to a binning binge. To be honest, I like this one so much that I have been known to practice this on the work fridge.

The closet.
This one is harder. I feel compelled to bag the old clothes and take them to a charity shop. This means that I periodically pack up the unwearables and then let them sit in the bottom of the closet until I get sick of that. Then they get moved out to the garage where they again sit for a spell. Finally I get tired of seeing them in the garage and they get put in the back of the car … and after several weeks of maneuvering around them every time I buy my soon-to-be-tossed fridge-fillers, I finally take them to a drop off point.

Do you have anything that you actually like to clean?

No comments: