Wednesday 17 October 2007

Nice Work if You Can Get it

There’s a new craze sweeping our office. Perhaps you’re already hoisting a banner on your own local bandwagon. As with most new things, I am a late adopter, being ever so un-hip. I like to come in just after things hit their peak, when the trend is waning and exhibiting the beginning of death throes. Still, I am throwing myself into this one wholeheartedly. Or at least, as I do, intermittently wholeheartedly. You know, when I can be bothered.

For the past six months or so we have been hearing over and over again that our department is being restructured, our job roles will be changing. We’ve also been privy to a wide range of implications and suggestions about whether we will all even still have roles (jobs, that is) and even blatant assertions that some of us will be unhappy with the changes. In spite of what were undoubtedly the best intentions of our higher ups, this has amazingly had a quite negative effect on the work habits, attitude, and morale of the troops.

And so it ensues… The name of the game these days is do as little as is feasible over the course of the day, which many have industriously shortened to as little as six hours. Which is, after all, really more efficient and shows acute resourcefulness. Why string out a day of not-working to eight or nine hours when you can get just as little done in fewer hours?

While at work, it takes a surprising amount of ingenuity to find things other than work to fill the day. This is sometimes made even more difficult by the non-team players who might actually want you to do some work. They have a very selfish way of interrupting you when you’re playing Halo or expecting you to actually attend the meeting that you arranged.

Yes indeed, it’s hard work not working. I mean, anyone can not work, but to do so without suffering immense boredom is no mean feat. Some are bound to fail. Some will get railroaded into actually completing projects. Some will fall victim to that widespread modern-day office malaise, namely staring into space, drooling in front of their monitors. Others will aimlessly wander the paths of the Internet, trolling for tidbits of even modest appeal and feigning more interest than is in fact warranted by the “information” they uncover. But a valiant few will prevail and fill their hours with amusing coffee breaks, exciting game-playing sessions, incessant instant messaging, l-o-n-g lunches, and even the occasional bout of sport and exercise. Not a very lofty goal? Perhaps not, but in these days of rampant disillusionment and passionate cynicism, we all must do our part.

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Ya know, at my job the EXACT SAME THING is going on. No one has started playing this particular game, but today they told us that they have all of our names in boxes...and they'll "cascade the information" in about 2 weeks.

I'm sure they think this is somehow transparent (which is the big buzz word here) but, not really. They've let us know that they discussed all of us and have matched us up to jobs. However, we have no idea what these jobs are, what they entail, or who will be doing what.

Productivity has slowed to a creep.

kittycakes said...

oooh, now see that's cutting edge. They aren't advanced enough here to think of using The Box. Did they tell you that you need to "Take it on the chin" and that you shouldn't worry because "there's nothing you can do anyway." Because that was really helpful. No one is worried now. If not, maybe you can just pipe up and tell them that you (and you alone!) are taking it on the chin and not worrying and they'll be so impressed with your professional stiff-upper-lip-ness that you'll get a promotion out of it. If you file your TPS report on time.

jomoore said...

When you get really good at this you get to not work from home.

In the old days we used to call this 'holiday'. Now it's work-life balance...

Unknown said...

have a baby - maternity leave is more fun :)

Cheryl said...

This morning when speaking with a much higher-up, I likened my interest in the upcoming changes (which may or may not include "job eliminations" and will not be a big "event"*) to my interest in my favorite shows coming back to primetime after summer hiatus.

I believe this won me some points. I may, in fact, have upper management** written all over me.

*This are nice code words for layoffs on this side of the pond.
**Depending on the accuracy of my TPS reports and the reviews of my 5 bosses, of course.

Cheryl said...

This morning when speaking with a much higher-up, I likened my interest in the upcoming changes (which may or may not include "job eliminations" and will not be a big "event"*) to my interest in my favorite shows coming back to primetime after summer hiatus.

I believe this won me some points. I may, in fact, have upper management** written all over me.

*This are nice code words for layoffs on this side of the pond.
**Depending on the accuracy of my TPS reports and the reviews of my 5 bosses, of course.