Monday 21 September 2009

Watchables

So the new Fall season is starting up (or just did) and I'm fumbling around to organize my DVR so that I don't have to watch anything live (because once you start watching shows with the ability to zip past the commercials, you really can't go back, can you? But since I don't watch many things live, I skip all the ads, I don't read any glossy mags, and I can't stand the entertainment mag TV programs (sorry, nothing against you if you can stomach them) I tend to miss some things. Like you know the kooky Christian Slater show where he plays a spy who doesn't know he's a spy because his brain was split or whatever it was, that show? it's apparently gone. How can it be gone? It was such a good time. And, you know, RIP BSG, which I am still kinda mourning, to be honest.

So here is what I still have to look forward to:

Project Runway
Oh, yes! It's finally back and it's already on and I still love it. I hate fashion, but I love this show. I don't really get it, except that it's a reality show, so you see people's craziness, but they're there to actually do something instead of just bicker or look pretty so it feels like there is more substance that some of the other reality shows. But maybe I am just justifying. At any rate, every week I think to myself "Wow, Heidi is stunning." Yep, somehow every week I am surprised by it all over again.

Fringe
It's kinda sci-fi meets cop/agent show, so what's not to love? OK, one thing not to love is the son, Peter, who always has the same exasperated irritation when dealing with his father. We get it. Your father's crazy and that's trying, but your repetitive acting is more annoying than he is. Soooo hoping the writers get a clue and realize this soon. Bc it's somehow super-annoying that the thing that is supposed to be aggravating is much less bothersome than having do listen to/watch the actor who plays Peter expressing that it's irritating.

Dexter
Maybe. I mean, I am totally behind anyway (I've watched four episodes from Season 1), and I don't know if it's going to hold my interest. Because Michael C Hall will always be the little brother on Six Feet Under. Anyway, I have to watch on DVD, so it doesn't really count towards my DVR quotas. One last thing about Dexter. I don't know what's up with his hair (plugs? a piece? what?), but it distracts me.

Biggest Loser
When I first heard about this show, I thought who in the hell would want to watch this? But here's the thing: it is sooooo strangely compelling. These people are amazing! And, you know, they're so dedicated that during the run of show, I find myself getting more exercise and eating healthier. It's like they're a good influence on me. I may be a bit of a softie, but I find it pretty heartening to watch them get their lives back on track. Of course I get really pissed off at anyone who whines or slacks, but the beauty is that they end up gone if they slack too much. In the end, I just feel so proud of them. And that's what we really like in TV shows, isn't it? We like either liking the people we watch--or hating them. I have loads of opportunity to find people to hate, so it's nice to actually feel like I want these guys to do well.

Heroes
Not as good as it once was ... but I will watch it again. At least initially. Some of the storylines are pretty grating (most of the shit with the cheerleader, tbh), but I still like Hiro and I need to watch just in case there is anything even remotely as good as the scene last season of Peter (Milo Ventimiglia) being hosed down. (Thanks again to Sus for giving me a heads-up to that fact last season. I haven't forgotten!)

Lost
Well, it's the last season and I feel like giving up now would be like quitting on mile 20 of a marathon. Yeah, it's bound to be mostly painful, but if I persevere I can get through it. I am almost there. That's what I will keep telling myself. I'm almost there! Plus, let's face it, that's the beauty of the DVR. I can FF through the really brutal parts.

What will you be watching? Anything I should add to my list?

2 comments:

Peter Abbey said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. TRUE BLOOD. It's the best thing on at the moment.

Really couldn't get into Dexter, personally. Just... meh.

Unknown said...

the memory of Peter being hosed down has now well and truly been refreshed in my memory. Mmmmmm. Yep you're right, that's got to be a good reason to keep watching.

Dexter - it's well worth sticking with - series 4 just started, just finished watching ep1, and in a way I wish I'd got into it late then I would be able to watch all at my leisure on DVD instead of waiting a WHOLE BLIMMING WEEK (POSS 2!) before the next ep...!