Thursday 17 September 2009

Things on Sticks

So prompted by Stefanie (who implied that I have been sorely remiss in my blogging of late) and Jo who yesterday proclaimed (if one can ‘proclaim’ on twitter, rather than just resorting to the more pedestrian ‘tweet’) that “Other than a Magnum, the moon is [her] favourite thing to have on a stick.”

See when I think of things on sticks, I have to say that one glorious item fairly leaps to mind. I do love the moon, but there is one special golden object which might give the silvery moon a run for her money. That’s right: the corn dog. Star of the summer’s County Fair. A kid-tastic ketchup* vehicle. And so much more.

Corn dogs are such a necessity that you can even find vegetarian versions. Because even if one gives up meat, one cannot live without at least the occasional corn dog. You can also get a turkey corn dog around here (at our favorite little corn dog connection: Ben Franks –bit pricey perhaps, but they do a damn good dog).

I am probably not supposed to like them. But I do. Many things are like that though, right? It’s pretty innocent as far as guilty pleasures go, right? I'm sure some of your are much worse. Feel free to chime in with them ... or let me know what if you have a favorite thing on a stick.

* I enjoy mine with mustard only.

4 comments:

Peter Abbey said...

Explain the corn dog for us UK peeps. We see them in films, but no such thing exists outisde of your little island.

Is it a bloated hot dog on a stick?

style inside said...

love cheese 'n pineapple - just because it's manageable and doesn't run down your front... but also cos' it's so totally uncool.

kittycakes said...

Oh Binks, how can it be that in a land where they deep-fry the most unlikely of specimens they don't have the corn dog?

It's a hot dog, dipped in a corn meal batter and then deep fried to a golden perfection.

Let me give it some thought. I'll try to see if there is some way that I can get someone to smuggle in some corn dogs to you...

Stef, cheese and pineapple is rather convenient on a stick! Does it beat the moon, do you reckon?

jomoore said...

We do have sausages in batter, but not on a stick...

Even deep-fried Mars bars aren't on sticks (as far as I know, anyway - I've never been to a Scottish chip shop...).

Only sweet stuff should come on a stick. If it's savoury, it's a skewer - that's my rule!